Getting Started with the Media Bot for Slack
Let's get started with the Massless Media Bot. After installing the Slack App, open Slack, and start a Direct Message with @mediabot. The Media Bot works by looking for action words, parameters, and attachment types.
- Action Words - The first word in the message can be an action word like or .
- Parameters - Words that follow are treated as parameters or settings for the action. For instance, will resize an image or video to 500 px wide while maintaing aspect ratio.
- Attachment Types - The Media Bot looks at the attachment types and the action word to understand what to do. For instance, attaching a , writing , and sending the message will convert the mp4 to gif.
- Generate Faces, Art, and Cats
- Remove Background, Upscale, and Style Transfer
- Convert, Resize, and Compress
Write @mediabot to generate a photorealistic face using AI. This is a perfect holding image when designing a website, brochure, or profile page. See the generate support page for more information.and send to
We can use AI to generate unique works of art. Write @mediabot. This image could be used as a background, a layer mask for text, a texture for a 3d model, or perhaps even a style for style transfer.and send to
And for fun, try sendingto generate a new photorealistic new digital feline friend 😉.
Attach an image inor format, write and send to @mediabot to use AI to automatically remove the background. The result will be a transparent . Using AI can save hours compared to cutting out the subject of an image using Photoshop. This is a common stage when
- Creating profile pictures
- Preparing product photos for websites or documents
- Generating logos with and backgrounds for slides
- Replacing backgrounds in photos
- Layering multiple photos to create new scenes
Often we find ourselves with the right image, but the resolution isn't high enough. This is particularly important for retina displays where applications and website require a source image with double the resolution for high quality display. This used to be a deal breaker in the past where simple resizing would cause unsightly artifacts. Now we can use AI to upscale and image without losing quality.
Attach an image inor format, write and send to @mediabot to use AI to 2x the image dimensions. See the upscale support page for more information.Style Transfer
Style Transfer is a powerful technique that uses AI to adapt the colouring, textures, and motifs of a reference style image and apply it to a different target image. This method rapidly generates new, unique, and visually appealing images. This can be used to:
- Apply a brand style to a new image
- Generate backgrounds or layer masks
- Inspire new designs
To try style transfe, first attach style image inor format, then attach a reference image in or format, write and send to @mediabot. Currently the Media Bot can only process small images, around 500 px x 500 px or smaller. See the style transfer support page for more information.
File conversion is a daily task for many designers and developers. It can often be frustraiting to find the right tool for the job. The Media Bot simplifies this process by bringing conversions into one place with a simple interface.
Our approach to conversion is to attach what you have and write what you want. For instance, to convert a png to jpg just attach a, write , and send to the @mediabot. Likewise to convert mp4 to gif attach a , and write
We have extended this philosophy to joining or merging files. To join multiple pdf documents into a single pdf attachs, write , and send to the @mediabot receive a single pdf back. Similarly, a pdf can be created by attaching multiple or files to receive a pdf with one image per page..
This can even be used to convert an image sequence into an animated gif. To animate a sequence attach multipleor files, write , and send to the @mediabot to receive an animated gif.
Resizing an image is one of the best way to reduce the file size. Once a web design has been created it is good practice to resize the images to the display size to optimize load times. But, resizing many images can be a pain. To speed this up simply drag and drop the images into the Slack conversation and write:
- - where is replaced with the target width. For example will resize the image to be 500 px wide while maintaing the aspect ratio.
- - where is replaced with the target width. For example will resize the height to 300 px while maintaing the aspect ratio.
This also works with other formats such asand . See the resize support page for more information.
Converting from png to jpg, and resizing images is a great way to reduce the file size. But for the final performance optimization we often need to compress the image. We've made this as simple as possible by following the Google Lighthouse guidelines for image compression as our defaults.
Attachor and write to use our defaults or see the compress support page for specific information for each format.